Saturday 20 October 2012

Career Mania 55: GyanCentral - The hub for engineering and law students - IIT-JEE, AIEEE, BITSAT, CLAT, AILET - 2012: The top moments from my first 100 days at NUJS

Career Mania 55
Career news.....www.careermania55.koolcentre.in,movies news.....www.koolcentre.in
GyanCentral - The hub for engineering and law students - IIT-JEE, AIEEE, BITSAT, CLAT, AILET - 2012: The top moments from my first 100 days at NUJS
Oct 20th 2012, 21:59

GyanCentral - The hub for engineering and law students - IIT-JEE, AIEEE, BITSAT, CLAT, AILET - 2012
The source for all engineering and legal education news in India
The top moments from my first 100 days at NUJS
Oct 20th 2012, 21:52

The NUJS rollercoaster is a tremendous experience. But during both its highs and lows, like in life, there were quite a few moments that stood out. However, I shall not be surprised if I realize later that I missed out on some, as there were so many unforgettable little triumphs! I could have written this in paragraphs, but since everyone loves lists.. 1) Inter Batch Football Semi Final. We, the newbies v. the most experienced batch, who also happened to be the defending champions. Somehow, in dramatic fashion, we took the lead. And more importantly, we clung on for a long time. But it wasn't long enough. In Manchester United-ish style, the men equalized versus the boys in the last minute – yes, the very last – no exaggeration. And then, all of a sudden, it began to pour down heavily, thus setting up the perfect atmosphere for a penalty shootout. I reminisced the Moscow 2008 Manchester United v. Chelsea Champions League Final. And in very similar fashion to that, the experienced 5th years – the team that had been there, done that triumphed. They also went on to win the tournament. But surely we won something more precious: hearts. 2) Usually, when there's a birthday (or any other reason good enough), we party. Yes, we at NUJS are like most other youngsters in the world that way. But on one particular night, we partied for absolutely no reason. Blaring music and the (rather curious) absence of assignments on the next day acted as catalysts for us for to group hug and dance. It was also the first time that I felt at home at NUJS, making it all the more memorable. 3) As I was standing in queue for the Bhatures one fine morning, I was in a hurry with the fear of getting late for class looming large. That the breads made of maida flour take time to be made did not help. A guy who at most an acquaintance then was first in line. He turned back to me and as I was quite far behind, he shouted, "How many do you want?" This kind gesture which saved time at a crucial moment would have been impressive from any person at any time, but two things made it extra special: the fact that this was right in our first month, a time at which a big and traditional part of ragging is getting food for seniors: this was almost a role reversal, and the detail that he was a super senior. The 5th year is one of my favourite persons in college now and quite understandably so. 4) Rather ironically, this happened outside NUJS. Hundreds of miles away from it actually. Representing NUJS for the first time at NH65, NLU Jodhpur's brilliantly organized cultural fest, we won one of its flagship events, the Mega Quiz. This raised our already high spirits even further up, and was the highlight of what shall eventually go down as one of the best weeks of my life. 5) I knew that I was a student of NUJS Calcutta, one of India's premier Law Schools, after the results itself. But the feeling sunk in, the realization dawned, only after I roamed around its small but serene campus after carrying out the admission formalities. It was a feeling most of us have experienced at one point or the other: that of a dream coming true. And, believe me when I say this: there are few more beautiful emotions than that of accomplishment. All the toil put in for a year seemed like a very fair deal then.Here's a picture of the Academic Block in NUJS in all its glory: http://gyancentral.com/forum/attachm...8&d=1350768730 6) I funnily (at least in my opinion anyway) refer to it as India's answer to Javed Miandad's last ball sixer at Sharjah. 12 runs. 2 balls. And he made himself a hero. Even without the magic bat that Karan had in Chain Kulli Ki Main Kulli, a batch mate who interestingly hails from the city of the God of Cricket knocked two in two over the fence in the Cricket tournament, and that too off one of the most feared bowlers in NUJS, thus ensuring progress for his side and a feared status for himself. 7) It was the 4th day of Law School. Ragging had picked up. And much like the state of Gujarat, its growth wasn't going to stop anytime soon. Albeit it was mostly harmless positive interaction, we planned a rather simple escape and went for a movie. Those two hours of much needed absolute freedom, with not a thing to worry about, made the experience worth the 150 bucks that we had paid despite the unremarkable film. Also, for me, this went down as the first in an endless number of hangouts with college friends. 8) People from all over the world study at Harvard and Cornell. As they did at Nalanda in the past. Multiculturalism in a university is usually evidence of its worth, as not many things can outweigh leaving the comfort of cosy homes. This is a phenomenon that you'll observe at all top National Law Schools, including NUJS, which is a mini India. One fine day, as I was not thinking about anything in particular, I realized how through the debates, discussions and other endless night talk, I've probably learned as much as I have in classrooms or in the city. For example, thanks to my friend from Jamshedpur, I now know that the city has the picturesque Dalma Hills and two rivers that meet, which make it, as she puts it – "personify beauty". After seeing this, I can't disagree: http://gyancentral.com/forum/attachm...9&d=1350768776 This is the best alternative to Travelling for someone as wanderlust as me, and that the chance came to me by accident and sheer good fortune, without even being asked for makes it all the more beautiful. Also, somewhere between those fierce "my city is better than your city" arguments, it manages to create or if present already, expand the feeling of pride for where you come from, which in my humble and honest opinion, is as important as patriotism towards the country itself. If I've been branded NUJS for life, I consider myself lucky. Looking forward to the times to come! Name: Sriraman Jha Law School: WB National University of Juridical Sciences, Calcutta

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com. If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment